What to do during AIG pull out??

For the past 4 years I have worked with both AIG and EC inclusion.  I did work closely with an EC teacher to work on collaborative co-teaching during the inclusion time.  However, I was AIG certified and did not work with a solely AIG teacher to help provide differentiation and enrichment for the upper tier.  Now that I do (and its great), I have to figure out what to do with the other part of the class during pull out for AIG Critical Thinking Skills.  The first week, we had a mystery reader.  It was a parent who came in and she had a great reading lesson that really included the students in the reading (I think I might even copy her strategy.)  This past week, we did an art project.  As an arts based magnet school, I am supposed to be integrating art into all instruction with a specific focus during our last 45 minute block of the day - enrichment.  It is during this time on Fridays that the AIG group (plus some other high students) is pulled.
  • My group started with a read aloud of Tomasso and the Missing Line.  
  • Then we brainstormed all the different kinds of line someone can draw.  The kids came up with zip-zag, straight, curved, diagonal, intersecting, angled, wavy, dark, light, etc.  
  • Then, after passing out a handout on lines, students were able to make any type of art with lines - and lines only.  Some students when straight to a house or landscape art.  I began mine on the board and a few students began to see that they could make "designs" of lines into a work of art.  
  • Here are some of the great products (not completely finished but you get the idea)...




If I could do the lesson again, I would also introduce the students to some well known art that uses great and obvious examples of various lines.  Maybe my artist friends and help me know where to start?

Comments

Popular Posts