Co-Teaching in the Inclusion Classroom

Last year I began working on my master's degree in Special Education.  I'm doing it through Western Governor's University.  I was skeptical of an all online university but I researched it, looked at the program, etc and it's legit.  Things have been going great.  There are 6 month semesters which is great for teachers who need to work on classes over the summer or winter break.  As well, the classes are competency based meaning you don't have to take it for a certain length of time, just prove your competency of the objectives through either objective or performance based assessments.  So that's my plug for WGU...now for the reason for my post.
In my most recent course, I developed a unit on co-teaching.  For the past 3 years, I have worked closely with a special education teacher in my classroom and we had things down to an art.  I really saw the benefits of inclusion for special education students.  Now, we did not have things perfect as there is always room to grow but we had some things right.  So for my last course I did research on developing a professional development unit for co-teaching pairs.  It focuses on what co-teaching is and how to implement it in the classroom.  If you're interested in implementing a co-teaching approach in your classroom, this is definitely something you should check out.



Comments

Popular Posts