During school pd at the Nasher Museum, they showed us a great resources for arts integration in the classroom. ArtsConnectEd is a joint project of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts and Walker Art Center. It allows you to search through thousands of images from both museums' collections and create slide sets and presentation with these images. Best of all....this website is designed for educators and gives you permission to use these images in the classroom with students in a variety of ways. I created a set about Plants since that is one of the units in NC for 3rd grade. Sets can be emailed, printed or saved as a PDF, or presented in their own presentation view. The presentation view is great because by clicking on a specific picture/slide you can view the information about the picture or zoom into specific parts of the art.
- To start out a unit and activate prior knowledge.
- Students can record observations in a science notebook.
- Use art with Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) questions:
- What do you see in this picture?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What else can you find?