The Write Stuff (alternate algorithms and writing in math)

At the beginning of the summer I presented at a workshop with a colleague.  I have been wanting to present at a workshop for a while but never wanted to go at it alone and needed a topic that I felt pretty confident at.  When I started at my current school I immediately linked with one of the 4th grade teachers - she is amazing - and we also have similar styles which helps in the sharing ideas.  So for this summer's conference at the local university I convinced her to present with me on writing and alternate algorithms in math.  We both use Everyday Mathematics in our classrooms and believe in the importance of students understanding and explaining the math behind an algorithm.


I pulled together our resources, several research articles, YouTube videos and more into a website to share during our session.  There are some great videos that you can share with your students (and their parents) to help review the alternate strategies and help with homework.  Take a look.... It covers addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division algorithms as well as writing in math.




Do you use alternate algorithms in your class?

What strategies do you use to get students writing in math?

Comments

Popular Posts